STATE POLICE ANNOUNCE NEW YEAR’S WEEKEND ENFORCEMENT INITIATIVE
Middletown, CT (December 28, 2017): Connecticut State Troopers remind motorists that combining careful planning with sensible driving will lead to safer holiday as they travel to holiday celebrations.
Many travelers are expected to hit Connecticut highways during the upcoming holiday weekend. State Troopers ask motorists to follow all driving laws, as their behavior on the roads is essential to keeping potential hazards at a distance. Simply putting traffic laws into practice will prevent accidents and save lives:
- Drive the speed limit.
- Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you.
- Ensure that all passengers are wearing seatbelts.
- Signal when turning, changing lanes or taking an exit.
- Refrain from texting or using your phone.
- Never consume alcohol or prescription drugs before you get behind the wheel.
- Move over (when safe to do so) whenever law enforcement, fire trucks, ambulances or tow trucks are occupying a lane. Please give them room to do their job efficiently and safely.
Drivers are also reminded to plan their trips with care:
- Fill the gas tank prior to your journey.
- Check windshield wipers, windshield wiper fluid and tire pressure.
- Fully charge your cell phone.
- Carry winter blankets, drinking water and snacks
- Check traffic conditions before leaving home
- Keep a shovel and sand or salt in the trunk of your vehicle.
Your cooperation is critical to ensuring the well-being of all who are driving our highways and roads throughout the New Year’s weekend. Whenever you get behind the wheel, safety must be your top priority.
Please be our partner in keeping the roadways safe for all motorists.