Increased Patrols Through the Holidays
This article was published on: 12/22/16 10:50 PM by Mike Minarsky
STATE TROOPERS PREPARE FOR HOLIDAY ENFORCEMENT
Middletown, CT. (December 23, 2016): Connecticut State Troopers remind motorists that combining careful planning with sensible driving will lead to safer holiday travel for all making a trek during the busiest travel week of the year.
Many travelers are expected to hit Connecticut highways during the upcoming holidays. State Police ask motorists to follow all driving laws, as their behavior on the roads is essential to keeping potential hazards at a distance. Simply putting traffic laws into practice will prevent accidents and save lives:
- Drive the speed limit.
- Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you.
- Ensure that all passengers are wearing seatbelts.
- Signal when turning, changing lanes or taking an exit.
- Refrain from texting or using your phone.
- Never consume alcohol or prescription drugs before you get behind the wheel.
- Move over (when safe to do so) whenever law enforcement, fire trucks, ambulances or tow trucks are occupying a lane. Please give them room to do their job efficiently and safely.
Drivers are also reminded to plan their trips with care:
- Fill the gas tank prior to your journey.
- Check windshield wipers, windshield wiper fluid and tire pressure.
- Fully charge your cell phone.
- Carry winter blankets, drinking water and snacks
- Check traffic conditions before leaving home
- Keep a shovel and sand or salt in the trunk of your vehicle.
Your cooperation is critical to ensuring the well-being of all who are driving our highways and roads throughout the holiday weekend. Whenever you get behind the wheel, safety must be your top priority.
Please be our partner in keeping the roadways safe for all motorists.
State Police will operate roving patrols and conduct DUI checkpoints starting December 22, 2016 and continuing through the Christmas and New Year’s holiday.
The State Police would also like you to be aware of some very scary and heartbreaking statistics from the Holiday Season in 2015:
Accidents: 461 with injury: 56 fatality: 5
DUI arrests: 40 Speeding: 621 Seatbelt: 36 Hazardous Moving violations: 1563 (to include following too close, distracted driving, cell phones, etc.)
Roving Patrols and Checkpoints will be as follows:
12/22/16 – 1/1/17 Roving Patrols – Routes 6, 12,14, 44, 97, 169, 197, 198 and Interstate 395 in towns of Killingly, Brooklyn, Thompson, Woodstock, Chaplin, Hampton, Eastford, Sterling, Putnam and Pomfret
12/22/16 – 1/2/17 Roving Patrols – Routes 2, 2A, 12, 164, and 165, 214, Interstates 95 and 395 in East Lyme, Griswold, Groton, Lisbon, Montville, New London, North Stonington, Norwich, Preston, Stonington, and Waterford
12/22/16 – 12/31/16 Roving Patrols – Route 2, 6, 11, 32, 66, 82, 85, 87, 149, 203, 207, 316 and 354 in the towns of Andover, Bolton, Bozrah, Colchester, Columbia, East Haddam, Franklin, Hebron, Marlborough, Salem, and Windham
Sources: CT State Police 12/22/16