Eversource Reminds Customers of Various Programs Offered to Help Manage Energy Bills
This article was published on: 01/14/20 4:04 PM by Mike Minarsky
BERLIN, Conn. (January 14, 2020) – With the start of a new year, Eversource is reminding customers of the various options available to help them manage their energy use and bills. Recognizing it can be difficult for some customers to pay their energy bills, the company offers several assistance programs, such as Budget Billing, Winter Protection, Matching Payment or New Start – which helps reduce or eliminate past-due balances.
“We understand the effect high electricity prices can have on our customers, particularly those facing difficult financial circumstances, and we want to help if they’re struggling to pay their energy bill,” said Eversource Senior Vice President and Chief Customer Officer Penni Conner. “Like our customers, we have no control over fluctuating energy prices, but the variety of programs we offer can help people manage their energy bills and reduce energy consumption. We encourage all of our customers to see if one of our programs is right for them.”
Eversource offers several financial assistance programs and energy efficiency solutions to help customers:
Billing and Payment Programs – *for all customers
- Budget Billing – Customers pay a pre-determined monthly amount based on their average monthly bills to avoid drastic peaks during months of high energy use.
- Payment Plans – Customers with a past-due balance or late with a payment can set up a payment arrangement and should contact Eversource to do so.
Hardship Programs – *for income-eligible customers
- Winter Protection – Customer’s account is protected from service disconnection November 1st through May 1st regardless of bill payment status, with no late payment charges.
- New Start – Customers can reduce or eliminate their outstanding balance in as little as 12 months when they make on-time monthly payments and Eversource will make up the difference.
- Matching Payment – Customers apply for the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP), then determine the amount of money they can afford to pay each month and set up the payment arrangement with Eversource. For every dollar a customer pays toward their bill by the agreed-upon time each month, a dollar will be credited to their past-due amount.
Customers are encouraged to call the energy company at 800-286-2828 or visit “Help Pay My Bill” on Eversource.com to find out more about these programs.
Eversource also recommends customers take advantage of the company’s energy efficiency offerings which can help reduce energy usage and help keep energy bills
down year-round. Customers are encouraged to:
- Sign up for Home Energy Solutions SM – A certified technician checks a customer’s home to identify places it can be tightened up to save money and energy. The technician makes on-the-spot improvements such as sealing up drafty doors and windows, closing air gaps around pipes and upgrading to LED lighting. *This service is available to income-eligible customers at no cost.
- Create an online energy savings plan – Customers can better understand and manage their energy usage and costs. Customers should visit Eversource.com to create an energy savings plan.